Photograph: Werner Schmidt

Monday, April 12, 2010

Greg Searle's Come-Back

On Sunday, 14 February 2010, I wrote an entry about rowing magazines, and, I have to confess, I whined a little about the new lay-out of Rowing News. I'll be darned if I do not have to change my mind after receiving the issue for April. Now, here is probably what the magazine wanted to do in the first place, a clean, easy-to-read lay-out with full-page columns (it seems the issue I was not so impressed by had a lot of technical mishaps). Not only is the lay-out looking nice, there are some great articles, too. I especially enjoyed the piece by Chris Dodd about the British oarsman Greg Searle, the old Olympic champion who has decided to make a come-back in the boat for the 2012 Olympic Games in London. Greg Searle’s greatest moment was probably when he and his brother Jonny, and their coxswain Garry Hebert, in the coxed pair beat the famous and ‘unbeatable’ Abbagnale brothers in the final of the Barcelona Olympics in 1992 – a nail-biting race.

Click here to read BBC's Martin Gough's blog entry about Greg Searle and watch a video interview with Searle. To watch the amazing Olympic gold medal race in 1992, click below.


No comments:

Post a Comment